Sunday, October 16, 2011

Oh hey! An introduction!

I'm realizing that with starting this blog, subsequently deleting it, restarting it, and just diving into the meat and potatoes, I've so rudely forgotten to introduce myself. Granted, the only people reading this already know me, but it may just be a good idea to throw some fun facts out there for the world to know.


Here it goes:
  • I’m a dork. You can take it or leave it.
  • I love what I do, I believe in what I do, and I  have no problem saying it.
  • I tell everyone not from Pennsylvania that I am from Philadelphia, which is partly true. I  was born and raised in Allentown but my whole family is from Philly and I have lived there for the better part of the past few years. 
  • Just because I moved 5,000 miles away and want to see the world does NOT mean that I don’t love my family, as was suggested to me a few years ago upon expressing my desire to do this. Conversely, I love them and miss them very much and wish more than anything that we could all be together. But, I have to do what I have to do. As Mark Twain said, “Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.”
  • That being said, Spain has taught me to live by the British mantra of “Keep Calm and Carry On.” 
  • And furthermore with that being said, I love Mark Twain with a passion. And Walt Disney. And The Beatles. 
  • PGST 2006, PGST 2008, Temple, and Fulbright were four of the best things that have ever happened to me. 
  • If you verbalize to me that your profession is not only better than mine, but more substantial, I will quietly think to myself that you’re probably wrong, but I will never tell you that out loud. Please don’t belittle my profession until you have managed to keep a room full of children who depend on you in a state of calm all day while educating them in ways that cater to their needs. Until then, watch me work.
  • Fun dorky fact: I could talk educational theory and my educational philosophy for hours.
  • I’m proud to say that I am incredibly well read. 
  • I love to run and play sports. 
  • I’m quiet and shy until you get to know me. Once you do, I’m fun. I’m funny. And, damn it, I know it.
  • During my Fulbright year, my friends and I have plans to see Spain (check), Germany, France, Ireland, England, Italy, and possibly Greece.  
  • I really dislike milk. I always have. Here in Spain, my disdain is even more so because they fail to refrigerate their milk in the grocery store.
  • I could eat hummus and Mexican food all day everyday.
  • I know two languages almost fluently and can get by in a conversation in three more. 
  • If you bring me Peanut Butter and Nutella, I will love you forever.
  • I’m vegetarian and proud of it. Unfortunately, living in Spain I have had to cheat twice, but there were no other options. 
  • I WILL hit every continent in my lifetime except Antarctica. I don’t know where or when yet, but I will. I only have five more to go!
  • I get obnoxiously excited over looking out the window on an airplane, Harry Potter, museums, good books, and a fun day at work. 
  • I love Disney movies and music and living in Spain has shown me how much I miss Disney World. 
  • I have no interest in owning a house. I really never have. Give me a large apartment in a city and a metro pass any day and I’d be a happy girl. 
  • I don’t know if I really want to have children, and if I do, at least one will be adopted.
  • My two favorite places in the world are Kelly Drive down near Boathouse Row in Philly and near the fountains and Palau de Musica in the Rio Turia in Valencia, Spain. 
  • I’m obsessed with anything pumpkin-flavored. I recently heard that The Cheesecake Factory has pumpkin-flavored cheesecake and that my friends back home ate it. I silently sat in jealousy for awhile over here then. 
  • I’m living the dream and thank God every day for it.

And that's about it. Do what you want with this info, but at least now you know more about who I am. 

Abrazos y besos.

No comments:

Post a Comment